This year we will run the screenwriting competition “Made in Almaty”, which is supervised by the actress Assel Sagatova. Participants may include directors, screenwriters and producers, with or without experience.
The screenwriting competition “Made in Almaty” includes a special program for 10 finalists, which is aimed at nurturing and supporting young filmmakers who find the first steps most difficult for them. The mission of the Almaty Film Festival is to give a strong impetus to young talents of Kazakhstan and present them to the world’s leading producers, funds and festivals.
Participants of the Competition must go through 6 stages:
1) 15.07.2019 – 15.08.2019 —acceptance of applications and their processing. We shall accept the works at the stage of a finished script of a full-length
feature film without any restrictions on genre and budget, in Kazakh or Russian languages, with a minimum duration of 80 minutes. The competitors need to submit their applications on http://almatyfilmfestival.com, with a synopsis and script attached. Submissions and participation in the Competition are free of charge.
2) 15.08.2019 — 25.08.2019 — work of the selection board. Each application must contain one project. The selection board, approved by the organizers of the competition, carries out a pre-selection. Based on the results of their work, the board forms a short list of the participants of the Competition, which includes no more than 10 projects.
3) 25.08.2019 — 18.09.2019 — time to prepare the finalists – the participants included in the short list of the Competition – for presentations (the finalists must send the presentations, as well as synopses and information about themselves, translated into English, no later than 05.09.2018). The projects included in the short list are evaluated by an expert jury approved by the organizing committee of the Competition.
The finalists of the Competition will be able to discuss their work and prepare for the pitching with the support of foreign experts:
Giovanni Robbiano is a professor, screenwriter, director and producer, member of the European Film Academy. Head of the international department of FAMU in Prague, Czech Republic. He studied cinema in Bologna and at Columbia University in New York.
Matthias Nocchi is a film marketing specialist, founder of the Alphapanda media agency for the film industry. Having experience in PR, advertising, social networking and branding for blockbusters and indie films, he monitors the strategy of each project and manages the company. He is also an expert on film marketing in international training programs in Europe and America and speaks at festivals and conferences.
Florian Weghorn is a selector at the Berlin Film Festival, as well as the organizer of the Berlinale Talents program, one of the leading and most prestigious business platforms for young filmmakers, which is held within the Berlin Film Festival.
Jeremy Shua is a producer and screenwriter from Singapore. He actively participates in co-productions, is a co-producer in the films “A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery” by Love Diaz (Silver Bear, Berlin Film Festival 2016), “A Yellow Bird” by K. Rajagopal (section “Critics’ Week”, Cannes 2016), etc. Jeremy constantly participates in pitching sessions and workshops within the largest film festivals.
Isabelle Glashant is the founder of the major production companies Asian Shadows and Chinese Shadows (Hong Kong – France). She is the producer of the first joint project between China and France, and afterwards produced many co-productions with other Asian countries. She also represents UniFrance in China.
Benjamin Illos is a French film critic, film selector at the Cannes Film Festival (section “Directors’ Fortnight”). He works with directors and screenwriters at the stage of script development and editing.
Participants in the short list will have a chance to develop their scripts with the best professionals.
4) 18.09.2019 — dress rehearsal for the finals of the Competition with the obligatory presence of all the finalists of the competition. Representatives of teams and authors of the projects included in the short list are obliged to attend the project presentation in person on the day of the finals of the Competition – September 19, 2019.
5) 19.09.2019 — finals of the Competition. The order of performances and presentations in the finals of the Competition is determined by the organizing committee of the Competition. No more than 7 minutes are given for the project presentation. Discussions after the project presentation are limited to 5 minutes.
6) 20.09.2019 — winner announcement at the closing ceremony of the II Almaty Film Festival. Following the results of the Competition, the partner of the film festival Astana Film Fund will use the winner’s project for a producer’s development.
The 10 finalists, who will be selected by the selection board, present a project and defend a script in accordance with the format and time limit for each of them, as well as provide a synopsis and information about themselves in English for foreign experts. The main aims and objectives of the Competition are to find new interesting ideas, support talents from all over Kazakhstan, exchange experience and knowledge, as well as build partnerships between representatives of the domestic film industry and the world film community.The gallery was not found!